Can you enable young women growing up in challenging and dynamic environments feel inspired, supported, happy and safe?
We’re looking for a Sports Participation Youth Worker focusing on Female Participation with excellent sports youth work and communication skills able to deliver a range of exciting activities to young women that will challenge, stimulate and provide new opportunities, in line with the Youth Zone’s themes around; sports, personal development, crime prevention and health and wellbeing.
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the effective delivery of a female only sports project aimed at engaging inactive women and girls from 15-19 over 12 months, 8 hours per week.
We are an award winning – North West Charity of the Year 2019 Young People’s charity based in the heart of Harpurhey. We first opened to young people in 2012 as an independent charity and attract young people from across North Manchester with our variety of activities and facilities. The Youth Zone provides positive activities and practical support, especially for those who are disadvantaged. The aim is to enable young people to make constructive use of their leisure time and to raise their aspirations. In proving a counter narrative to much of the environment our aim is that no young person touches by the Youth Zone will become NEET.
Being located in Harpurhey enables MYZ to reach those young people who need “Somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to”.
All of our sessions are inclusive to maintain a mainstream provision. MYZ also develops and delivers other projects to improve the lives of disadvantaged and vulnerable young people in the locality, with an excellent reputation in a number of areas including safeguarding, working with young people who are “at risk” of criminal exploitation, mentoring and employment skills. We have invested strongly in partnership working, becoming a community asset responding to the needs of young people and the local community of North Manchester.
MYZ is an outstanding two-story building which has a dedicated climbing wall, gym / fitness suite, boxing studio, dance and performing arts studio and music spaces. Also included are a café, games and social areas and an outdoor 3G pitch.
If you’re passionate about providing an exceptional service to young people, we’d love to hear from you!
STUFF WE’LL TRUST YOU WITH
- To work directly with children and young people aged 13-19 (up to 25 with additional needs) to facilitate safe and structured activities in line with Manchester Youth Zone’s programme of delivery.
- Deliver a high-quality targeted female only sports offer which is safe, fun, challenging and developmental. This will include delivery of day-to-day sports programme activities, special events and trips, team development and competitions, and contribute towards the planning, delivery and evaluation of specific sports projects.
- Maximise and manage the contribution of volunteers to the work of sport and young women .
- Encourage the participation of young people and that their ideas contribute fully in the planning, delivery and evaluation of sessions, projects and activities.
- To establish positive and engaging relationships with young people from a range of backgrounds in an appropriate and professional manner.
- Effectively communicate at all levels by speaking, listening and in writing.
- To work effectively alongside colleagues including staff, volunteers and Young Leaders.
- To attend training and development events where required.
- To enhance the offer and add value to sessions through planning, evaluating and monitoring.
- To be able to use your own initiative to flexibly meet the needs of children and young people.
- To promote cultural cohesion and inclusion, and proactively challenge any prejudice and discrimination.
- To understand and adhere to MYZ policies and procedures at all times with particular emphasis on equal opportunities, health and safety and safeguarding.
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times, managing any safeguarding issues should they arise.
- To be an active member of the team and operate in line with the Charity’s expectations, values and principles.
STUFF YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT
So what does it take to succeed in this role? We’re looking for someone who genuinely wants to make a positive difference in the lives of our young people. The right candidate will be highly organised with a strong Youth Work principles and experience supporting the development of Social Action.
YOUR SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- A L1 sports coaching qualifications or equivalent experience essential
- L2 sports coaching qualifications or equivalent experience desirable
- Gym Qualification Desirable
- First Aid
- Working with young people aged 13-19 from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience in the sports sector
- Working with children and young people who are disaffected, underachieving and/or have social/emotional barriers to participation, and who have additional needs.
- Working effectively as part of a team.
- Implementation of policy and procedure.
- Developing a programme of sports activities
- Successfully engaging inactive females in sports activities
KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING
- Demonstration of how to engage with young people effectively and understanding the issues affecting their lives.
- Understanding of the principles of effective sports practice
- Ability to plan, deliver and evaluate high quality sports programme within an equal opportunities framework.
- Ability to communicate effectively with young people, parents/carers and colleagues by talking, listening and writing factual and accurate reports.
- Knowledge of health and safety, diversity awareness and safeguarding best practice and how these relate to relate to children and young people within the Youth Zone.
- Ability to coach, encourage, motivate and support children and young people to reach their full potential.
- Ability to effectively manage children and young people exhibiting challenging or anti-social behaviour.
THE OTHER STUFF
- Organised and efficient
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Excellent attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
- Commitment to personal and professional development – we love ambition!
BENEFITS & GOOD STUFF
For gym bunnies or fitness fanatics
14% of the hours you work back as holidays
5% employer contribution after your first 6 months, but you pay 5% too…
THE BORING (but important!) STUFF
In accordance with our Recruitment and Selection Policy, we are not able to accept applications from current or former members, Young Leaders or regular service users for safeguarding reasons, for a period of at least one year since they last attended Manchester Youth Zone (nee The Factory Youth Zone) in this capacity.
All internal applicants will be guaranteed an interview, though will be assessed to the same criteria as external applicants and so are encouraged to submit a full and thorough application.
In accordance with our safeguarding procedures, this position requires a DBS check.
The Manchester Youth Zone is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
- Address Harpurhey Manchester, United Kingdom